Thursday, March 6, 2008

Flow: Being In The Moment


"When I'm performing, I don't know where I am . . . it's about being there in the moment." - Joe Orrach

The state of flow has been a pre-occupation of mine for some time now. I would often find myself entranced, in the midst of engaging conversations, after a lapse of time working on a project, and simply, moments in which my sole focus and energy exist without the constricts of time, the surrounding environment faded off somewhere in the backdrop. It was a process that always fascinated me, but could never quite grasp.

Mentioning this to a few friends of mine, and describing it to the best of my ability, half of them only stared back as if I’ve just spoken to them in a foreign language - complete gibberish. The other half intrigued, but nonetheless, indifferent. Frustrated by this, I sought out a personal project. In striving to understand this state of flow and develop it further, I immersed myself in reading material on the subject of autotelism. I observed my surroundings, I listened carefully, I watched my thoughts, and I waited patiently. Waited for what? At the time, I couldn’t name it other than a desire springing forth from deep within me. But nonetheless, I waited silently.

Sometime two weeks back, I was enveloped by an unexpected occasion during a field production. In the midst of shooting an interview, as our sound designers were working out some techno-kinks, I began conversing with our interviewee, Joe Orrach , about passion, and being in the moment. That moment, in itself, became an extraordinary friction and flow of energies. I watched a flickering flame turn into a fire - enraptured by passion itself. The room vibrated with magic. And in that time, from the peripheral scope of my vision, I watched our photographer set his camera down, our videographer viewing intently through his lens, and other crew members drink in the moment. It was a soulful communication regardless of profession. It became apparent, that we were not just there to work on a project, but rather we were all there to experience the heat of an autotelic state: a magical unison of subject, story, and storytellers.

I don’t know if I can properly define what flow is, although I’ve gained a keener sense for it. To my understanding, flow is a progression of creation, an arrest of heart and desire to exist without reason. In looking back, the passion for storytelling weaved us all together at that small fraction of time, and I think we all walked away inspired. In the words of Joe, “it’s from my center, my groin, my heart.”

Photo Credit: Rai Popquiz, Shot On Location.

6 comments:

Claudia said...

First off, let me say that your writing is great. I loved how you are able to tell a story with words. I was able to visualize your conversation with Joe.
You never actually said what exactly Joe's profession is, but I assumed it was an actor/ performer. I searched online for a hint of his work and was able to find this.
Overall, great job.

John Eightclip said...

Well written post. I love the idea of flow. I feel that I can somehow sustain "flow" a lot in my daily life. However, what happens when that "flow" is killed by someone you're working with, or a situation that discourages this "flow". On the project I am working on, I feel that my flow is killed almost every time I get going. So then what I've grown accustomed to is either to fight like hell to keep that flow going, but when it just can't go any further. I just let it die, I let the flow, the movement, and the artistic quality die. Just letting the entire movement I thought we had die. This also makes me turn off completely to any flow in the future between myself and whomever kills this "flow". Is this wrong? Yes. However, I cannot help but be annoyed and pissed off when this flow is killed. I couldn't work a link in here. It didn't feel right. However, you definitely struck a nerve with me. So rest assured that your post made me think, and made me relate this "flow" to my life... Now I'm frustrated. Ha!

lorena zuluaga said...

Talking about flow is not an easy thing. We all wish we got lost in a world where nothing matters except the present moment in which we live, but in reality it is a state very hard to accomplish. You did a great job in taking about this topic. You are a magnificent writer. I really like your style and the way you get the reader interested by using your personal experience. I love the picture of Joe and the quote you used. It really helps to give a reader an idea of this state of “flow” that you are talking about. As I was reading your post, I got remind it of Harvey Lloyd. He is a great writer, as I am usure you already know. He writes in a very conversational way, making the reader feel comfortable and as he or she was taking part on the story. I think it woul be great for you to look at his style of writing. Here is a link to his site. In here her talks about his insighfull work and of corse one of my favorite books, The Art of Seeing.

Mike O said...

I'm really liking you blog. The stuff on Billy Collins had me watching those animated videos of his for about half an hour the other day.

The autotelic concept of an entity having itself as its only purpose could send someone far down the rabbit hole. John Donne said something about this, Hemingway jumped into the fray, and Paul Simon made some money turning it to a tune. Maybe guys just can't conceive of creation as flowing from within.

It got me googling. I like to do image searches of words and see what comes up. Yours led me to this rather Klee like expression.

Jesse C. said...

This is a fantastic blog. Very well written. You had me intrigued from the very first sentence. I was thinking about the listeners, the story, and the storyteller, and I thought well that makes sense. Have you looked at all into the importance of music to storytelling. What I mean is, I guess I feel like music is almost a lubricant to get to these moments of "flow." It eases access to something that many of us search hard for, but find hard to fully grasp. I would be interested in reading your thoughts on that. On a self/flow/place/etc. plane, I recommend you check out Chuck Palahniuk's latest book Rant." It is very explicit. Chuck is a challenging writer to read, both style wise, and in terms of vulgarity. But, his ideas are always very well formulated, and you may enjoy this one in particular.

Amanda Mac said...

Great blog! Your writing is so on point. To be honest I can't think of a link to post because I do not think you need any suggestions at this point in time I think you are doing well without them.